Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Best Thing I Ever Ate: Mochi



Mochi w/ Red Bean Paste

We all love mochi, but have you ever tried making it from scratch? If you're ever short on time and need to make a quick and easy dessert for your friends or guests, this should be your go-to dessert! Once you get into that mochi grind, you'll be rolling out mochi cakes like it's your job. Trust me.

Every single person out there should have the opportunity to experience the mochi sensation. Seriously. I just love how sweet and chewy these rice cakes are, especially when they're stuffed with something like red bean paste, sesame, ice cream, chocolate (nutella!!), or fruits.  Mochi cakes are also delicious when rolled in and coated with crushed nuts, coconut, cake crumbs, bean powder, and etc. That's how versatile they are! They make the perfect dessert and snack, and they're SO easy to make! I didn't have all my weapons with me in the kitchen, but I'd definitely use some food coloring next time to make some cute pink, green, and purple mochi cakes! =)

P.S. I seriously need to cut down on all the sweets, but for some reason, I constantly have this urge to make desserts. Maybe it's because my sister's home, so I blame her. She has a sweet tooth like no other, and I think it's rubbing off on me.

Must motivate myself to get in that workout grind again!!








My big bite =)


Mochi w/ Red Bean Paste:
 Serving Size = Approx 20 mochi cakes

Ingredients:
2 cups glutinous rice flour (Mochiko)
2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup red bean paste
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cinnamon
*Use 1 cup sugar if you like it on the sweeter side

1) Mix red bean paste with cinnamon in a small bowl. Make balls with a teaspoon and set aside.
2) On a baking/cookie sheet, spread cornstarch evenly (or whatever coating you prefer)
3) Mix glutinous rice flour and sugar in a medium size bowl. Add water and mix well until blended. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes
4) Take the bowl out and mix for a few seconds again. Cover and microwave again for another 2 minutes. Mix the dough.
5) Use a plastic glove if you wish, and coat your hands with cornstarch. Take a heaping spoonful of the dough and pat it back and forth in your hands until flat. Be careful because it can be very hot!
6) Once flat, you may pinch the circumference, put a ball of bean paste in the center, and start folding over at opposite ends. After completely folded, roll the mochi cake around in your hands adding cornstarch as needed.
7) Repeat steps 5-6 until done. Ready to eat right away!


Packed for the bf. Why do I find mochi to be so adorable? I love poking them.

Come to think of it, maybe I should try dipping these in sriracha sauce next time. After all, everything tastes better with sriracha, right??

.