Monday, December 27, 2010

Mini Vegan Sweet Potato Pies w/ Oatmeal-Walnut Crust....and Tofurkey!

Anyone got the case of the mondays? Not me! Bummed around home all day! =)


Tofurkey

Mini Sweet Potato Pies


Winter break has been VERY good to me thus far! I've been doing my best to make the most of my two weeks off by sleeping in, bumming around, catching up with friends, and just simply relaxing.  Although the Becker books are sitting on my desk, haunting me every night, I've decided not to crack them open until next week...meh.

Today, my sister really wanted to make a vegan dinner for the family, so I helped her make a Tofurkey with a mushroom and rice "stuffing." We also have a lot of sweet potatoes, so we decided to make mini sweet potato pies with an oatmeal crust.  I tried REALLY hard to convince her to let me use an egg because eggs are used to help the filling hold, but of course I lost to the vegan. Boooo! But don't worry, apparently you can use 1/4 cup of mashed banana or 1 tbs of ground flax plus 3 tbs of water. Very interesting...We ended up using the flax and water concoction, and I added 1 tsp of cornstarch to help it thicken a little more.


All of the ingredients...of course I'm missing the sweet potato and walnuts, oops!

Mini pie w/ whole walnut, coconut, chopped walnuts, or chocolate chips! Pick your choice! =)

As for the Tofurkey, not gonna lie, it was a pretty interesting experiment and came out nicely! Took a lot of tasting, adding, tasting, and more adding, but in the end, all that work was worth it.


Tofu w/ miso and soysauce drained using a cheese cloth

Patting down the bottom layer of Tofu part

"Stuffing" with mushroom, mushroom broth, brown rice, beans, onions, cilantro, soy sauce, and rice vinegar


Tofurkey with orange-soysauce glaze ready for the oven

Smelled yummy



Slice of Tofurkey w/ mushroom gravy? Anyone? =)