Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pomegranate- Chocolate Chip Mochi Bundt CAKE


An Overnight Pomegranate-Choco Chip Mochi Bundt Cake

I dedicate this to all the mochi lovers out there who want to spice up their mochi lives.  Here's a Pomegranate-Choco Chip Mochi Bundt Cake for you. I need to think of a shorter way to say that...a Pomo-Choco Mochake?

I thought a mochi bundt cake would be a fun little experiment just because I'm in that mochi mood again. I  played around with the ingredients and crossed my fingers...and voila. It turned into something! *phew*

It's like an optical illusion. It looks like a cake, but it's not!...well, sorta...I'd say, texture wise, it is a cross between your typical mochi and perhaps a pound cake? Maybe an 85%-15% ratio since the mochiko made the inside more chewy, sticky, and obviously more dense than a normal cake. My favorite part was the beautiful brown crust of the cake! What's great about this cake is that, in my opinion, it tasted even better the next morning! The inside of the cake had time to set overnight and turn more chewy, so the consistency improved during those hours. Who knew?? I guess that would make this cake a perfect "make-ahead" dessert. =)


Fresh out of the oven last night


This is what the cake looked like fresh out of the oven last night. It's not as "gummy" and mochi-like quite yet (like the main picture above). It was more on the moist and sticky side. Still delish, but I personally liked it better this morning! =)



After sitting overnight


Pomogranate-Chocolate Chip Mochake

1 box Mochiko (approx. 3 1/2 cups)
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 tbs honey
1 1/2 cup soy milk (or any other type)
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup pomegranate
1/3 cup chocolate chips


1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease bundt pan
2) Large bowl: Mix melted butter, and sugar. Add applesauce, honey, and vanilla. Beat in eggs and add milk
3) Medium bowl: Mix mochiko, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually mix in dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Dough will be thicker than regular cakes!
4) Mix in pomegranate and chocolate chips. Pour it into the pan and smooth it out. Pop it in the oven for about an hour or until your toothpick comes out clean! Let it cool for about 5 minutes. Serve or sit overnight for best results!



After baking in the oven for about an hour


I was actually surprised at how easily the cake popped out of the pan. It was one of those 1-2-3 flips where the cake just plopped down onto the plate. Success! My mom was worried that the cake would get stuck into the pan since it's made out of Mochiko, but thank god for the magic of butter in cakes.


Purty bundt cake! Would've glazed it, but I was too tired and lazy to


If I make this again, which I probably will, I might try to decrease the amount of butter to 3/4 stick. I'd try some other fruits like blueberries or cranberries...and maybe throw in some walnuts! I also have some coconut milk, so that could give the cake a nice coconut-y twist.



Last night's midnight snack