Thursday, January 6, 2011

Egg-in-a-[Bagel] Basket

Egg-in-a-[bagel] basket

 Breakfast is my favorite meal because I'm always hungry when I wake up. Let me just say that I loveee making this "Egg-in-a-basket" or "Egg-in-the-hole" breakfast because it's a fun and easy way to be creative with your basic toast and egg combo. Some days I like a runny yolk, but most days I like it a little more set yet soft.  I usually make this with a slice of bread (like most people), but since we had bagels sitting around, I decided to try it out with a bagel. I figured it'd look better anyway since the egg is, well, a circle.

Ingredients
1/2 bagel (cut as shown)
1 egg
1/2 tsp grated parmesan
1 tsp scallions
1/4 tsp dried seaweed
Dash of salt + pepper
1 tbs tomato
1 tsp onion
1 tsp cilantro
Dash of balsamic vinegar

1) Cut the bagel in half and cut a very thin slice off the top to make both sides flat. Use a knife and slice out an circle-oval shape from the center. The center piece can be used to dip into the yolk
2) Heat pan on medium-low and add butter, oil, or cooking spray to pan
3) Lightly toast the top side of the bagel for about a 30 seconds to a minute, then flip over. Crack 1 egg into the middle of the bagel hole. Meanwhile, toast the smaller bagel piece on both sides
4) Cover with lid to hold in steam for about 6-8 minutes depending on how done you want the yolk.
5) Season and garnish with your favorites toppings!



Prepping the bagel

Semi-runny yolk...Just the way I like it =)

Layers