Monday, January 24, 2011

Eggplant "Eggs Benedict"


Perfectly Poached Eggs

Yes, I'm in that eggy mood. I eat eggs for breakfast almost everyday (yes, I eat a LOT in the morning...haha), but I always need to change it up so I don't get bored. It also helps that they're nutritious and packed with vitamins and minerals...not to mention, they're inexpensive! That's always a bonus for me. =)

This is how I made my version of an Eggs Benedict. I was too lazy to buy ham, so I just substituted it with a slice of eggplant..kinda wish I had the ham, though.... I also wanted to cut down on the yolk because 1 yolk per eggs benedict is enough for me, so I substituted the Hollandaise sauce with some mustard & red wine vinegar sauce.  On the English muffin, I spread on some yogurt-dill sauce as well to add a tangy twist and added a slice of tomato.

I'm sure there are many different ways to make the "perfect" poached egg, but this is the way I make it.  It always seems to work out perfectly, so that's all that matters to me.



Poaching
Poached Egg

1 egg
1 tbs vinegar (approx.)

1) Bring water to almost boiling at around medium to medium-high heat. Add vinegar to water because it helps the egg whites hold together better. That way, you can avoid those fancy poaching gadgets!
2) Crack egg into a small bowl. Be careful not to break it
3) Gently swirl the water in a circular motion to create a whirlpool in the middle. Slowly pour the egg into the center of the whirlpool so it doesn't lose its shape
4) After about a minute, I usually nudge the bottom of the egg to lift it off the bottom and float around
5) Let it cook for about 3-4 minutes for a runnier yolk or up to 7 minutes for a firmer yolk.
6) The egg will continue to cook as you take it out and plate it, so if you can't serve it immediately, place it in ice cold water to stop it from cooking further






Yogurt-Dill Sauce

Estimates:
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 tbs + 1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
2 tbs cucumber, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbs olive oil (optional)
1/2 tsp lemon zest
Salt & Pepper to taste


Runny yolk- Just the way I like it


A Vegetarian Eggs Benedict w/ Mustard-Red Wine Vinegar Sauce

Poached egg
English muffin
Cooked & seasoned eggplant (or meat)
Tomato
Yogurt-dill sauce
Mustard
Red wine vinegar
Sriracha
Salt & Pepper


 Sriracha is a necessity