Tuesday, January 11, 2011

For the Health Conscious: Eggs & Oats Pancakes w/ Clam





Eggs & Oats Pancakes with clam. Kimchi on the side


I don't know about you, but according to all of those commercials, many people do not consume enough fiber each day.  In fact, the recommended daily intake of fiber is about 20-35 grams.  To solve this "nationwide dilemma," I thought this eggs & oats "pancake," if you will, would be a great way to incorporate some extra fiber into your diet.  Wait...oatmeal?? Yes, oatmeal! It's an excellent source of fiber, protein, and other nutrients, AND since it's blended into everything, it enhances the texture. I chose to dip it in soy sauce + vinegar and sriracha + ketchup because I went fairly light on the sodium.

P.S. Excuse my random kitchen experiments with whatever I can find in the fridge. Now I just post to get away from studying when my brain's fried. Thanks to the CPA exam, I'm currently hibernating and kissing my happy days goodbye.=(


Eggs & Oats Pancakes w/ Clam

 4 eggs (4 whites, 3 yolks)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup clams, chopped
1/4 cup wheat bran 
1 garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp sesame oil  
2 tbs scallions
Salt & pepper to taste
*1 tbs Soy sauce (optional, but probably not needed if dipping into sauces)
*3 cups spinach (I like it with spinach, but I didn't have any in the fridge...fail)

1) Blend everything but the clams and scallions into the blender. Let it sit for about 3 minutes. Mix in the clams.
2) Heat the skillet to low-medium. Using a large spoon, gently pour batter onto skillet and top with scallions. Cook on both sides until lightly browned and cooked through (about 1-2 min per side)

-------------------------------
Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size= 5 pancakes
Servings per recipe = 2 

Calories:  266
Fat: 9.85g (good fat!)
Carbohydrate: 22.5g
Dietary Fiber: 5g
Protein: 18
-------------------------------

Sauce 1: Soy sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds
Sauce 2: Sriracha, ketchup


oops! excuse my shadow...=P