Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Green Pea Cakes


Green pea cakes topped with yogurt and sliced almonds

Here's a healthy dish you could easily whip up with whatever you have in the kitchen.

When I was living on campus, I made a similar recipe using canned tuna since I had to make do with whatever was in the kitchen at the moment.  Well, now I don't have any canned tuna at home, so peas it is!

Green peas are an excellent source of dietary fiber, folate, vitamin C and K, and other beneficial nutrients, which is why I decided to play with it in my recipe. I used frozen peas, and instead of boiling them in water, I simply thawed it out overnight in the fridge. You could also microwave it according to the package's instructions. However, boiling vegetables make them lose their nutrients in the water, so you should use this method sparingly.


Yogurt for the creamy texture and Sriracha for the heat

I love making these little cakes because they're easy to make AND extremely versatile. They have that fluffy yet meaty crab cake texture along with a nice crust from the breadcrumbs. As I mentioned above, I made this with tuna before.  If you want to switch up the ingredients by using pureed corn/carrots/other veggies, fish meat, mashed beans, or etc, all you have to do is add breadcrumbs until the mixture gets sticky enough to form the cakes.  In fact, it's almost like you're making burgers...except cooler.



1 cake is missing...

Green Pea Cakes:
 Serving Size = 9

Ingredients:
2 cups frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg
2 tbs Greek yogurt
1 tsp sriracha
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
Dash of salt & pepper
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tbs ground flaxseed*
1/2 tsp garlic powder
* I added flaxseed to compensate for the lack of whole wheat breadcrumbs


1) Blend (not puree) together peas, onion, garlic, yogurt, sriracha, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Transfer to medium bowl
2) Mix in bread crumbs, flaxseed, and garlic powder
3) Spray non-stick cooking spray onto pan over low-medium or medium heat. Shape palm-sized "cakes" and place on hot skillet for approximately 3-4 minutes each side or until lightly browned with crust
Tip: it might help to make the cakes while the pan is heating to quicken the process


Nice patty-textured cake