Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sweet Potato Pancakes with Rosemary Honey

Sweet Potato Pancakes layered with Cottage Cheese and
topped w/ Walnuts & Rosemary Honey

Since I missed out on IHOP's free pancake day yesterday, I had to make it up to myself by making my own pancakes using my favorite Korean sweet potato (goguma). I usually make pancakes with blueberries, bananas, or whatever I have at the moment, but I never tried making them with sweet potatoes, so this was a nice change! I also bought fresh rosemary to make my quick and easy herb-infused honey for that fresh "piney" aroma and taste.

You really don't need to use sugar and/or butter in this recipe because you can dress it up with fresh fruits, honey, maple syrup, or etc.The herb-infused honey really enhances the flavors of the pancakes & walnuts by adding sweetness with a hint of fresh rosemary. I also layered the cakes with cottage cheese because I'm a cottage cheese fan, especially when paired with fruits and nuts. Some people don't like the taste and texture of cottage cheese, but I understand that because it had to grow on me, too. HOWEVER it is very low in fat and high in protein...so you gotta love it! =)


I love that cottage cheese

I made some alterations to my basic pancake recipe and came up with this. (I put my basic recipe at the bottom just FYI). Instead of using whole wheat flour, I decided to go with AP flour + ground flaxseed + wheat bran. In my opinion, whole wheat flour in pancakes usually turn out pretty dense and take much longer to cook through. Therefore, I added fiber (bran) and omega 3 (flaxseed) to compensate for the lack of WW flour.  I also used almond milk instead of regular milk because it cuts down the carbs by a LOT.


Flip when bubbles form
Mini pancakes using 1/4 cup batter--approx. 4"-5 diameter

Sweet Potato Pancakes:
 Serving Size = Approx. 10

Dry Ingredients:
3/4 cup AP flour
2 tbs ground flaxseed
2 tbs wheat bran
1/2 cup sweet potato, mashed
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Wet Ingredients:  
1 egg
1 cup almond milk*
2 tbs apple cider vinegar*
* Regular milk and any type of vinegar works

1) Mix milk + vinegar in small bowl and set aside for about 5 minutes. This is a method to "replace" buttermilk.
2) Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl
3) Whisk egg into milk mixture
4) Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix. Mix in mashed sweet potato and let sit for about 20 minutes
5) Pour 1/4 cup of batter into skillet over low-medium to medium heat. Cook until bubbles form then flip



Rosemary Honey

Quick Rosemary-Infused Honey:
 Serving Size = Approx. 4

2 tbs pure honey
15-18 rosemary "leaves"

1) Pour honey into pan or pot over low-medium heat. Add rosemary leaves and let honey simmer for at least 10 minutes.
*You can also chop up leaves for stronger taste. If you make this ahead of time, you can place some chopped up leaves and a sprig of rosemary in a jar, pour in honey, and let sit for 1-2 weeks.


My standard first bite picture

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nutrition Facts: Sweet Potato Pancakes
Serving Size= 1 Pancake

Calories: 49
Fat: 1.2
Saturated Fat: 0.2
Carbohydrate: 7.6
Dietary Fiber: 0.8g
Protein: 2.5g

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


*FYI, in case you only have AP flour, here is my basic recipe that always results in nice and fluffy pancakes. Not the healthiest, but that's okay!*


Blueberry Pancakes:
 Serving Size = Approx. 10

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup AP flour
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Wet Ingredients:  
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 tbs vinegar

1/3 cup blueberries*
* Sprinkle on top of batter after you pour it into hot pan to avoid blueish green pancakes