Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Garlic Naan


Naan--the little specs are from the flaxseed mix (egg replacement)

How does naan have the perfect amount of crisp yet be so light, fluffy, and chewy inside? Without a doubt, naan is my favorite bread...and topped with garlic?? You gotta love it. If you've never had naan before, shame on you!

Naan is a leavened Indian flatbread that is much more special in its taste, texture, and making compared to your average bread. Since I've never attempted to make naan before, I found this recipe that seemed fairly simple without the fancy equipment.  It came out wonderfully! The main thing I would try to improve upon next time is to get a little more browning on top without making it too crispy and hard on the edges.

I finally had the chance to make naan today, and as I was in the process of putting all the ingredients together, I had no egg!!! After getting over my initial panic, I remembered my sister telling me an egg replacement method (1 tbs ground flaxseed + 3 tbs water). Then I realized it was on the recipe too, so I was a happy girl again. I wonder how much of a difference the egg would've made, so I definitely need to try this and other recipes again. Keep a look out! I'll let you all know which one is the best! This one was definitely a success, though! I'll also try it with a REAL egg next time.


Here are my tips as a naan-making newbie:
  • Be aware that 550F is HOT, so the steam coming out made my alarms go off right when I opened the oven...heh
  • Roll it out evenly and not too thick. Otherwise, it'll taste like a regular piece of thick bread
  • Use baking stone if you have one. Apparently it makes a world of a difference because it absorbs more moisture, can stand high temperatures, and gives a nice and balanced crust at the bottom than a regular baking sheet. I used a cookie sheet and it warped in the oven, but it eventually turned normal after leaving it in the oven while the oven was cooling off...no big
  • It took me a few tries but you've got to adjust to your oven! I think I'll try to cook it on a hot pan next time and perhaps finish it off in the broiler to compare it with my baking results.


P.S. Can someone buy me a tandoor for a late birthday present? I think I need one. =)



Form into ball, drizzle with oil, and let sit for 1hr 15 min in warm oven to rise

Doubled in volume

Roll out and top with garlic, toss is hand-to-hand, and pop in oven


Garlic Naan:
 Serving Size = 6

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tsp dry active yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 tsp oil
2 tbs plain yogurt (I used Greek)
1 tbs ground flaxseed + 3 tbs water (Egg replacement)

1) Preheat oven to 170F just to warm the oven for some yeast action.
2) Microwave 1/2 cup water for 15 seconds. Mix in yeast and sugar. Cover and let sit for about 7 minutes
3) Medium bowl: Add flour, add salt, and slowly mix in oil. 
4) After yeast is risen and ready, add yogurt. Mix together flaxseed + 3 tbs water, and add into yeast water. I had no eggs, but use an egg if you like!
5) Turn off oven. Mix wet into dry ingredients and knead for a few minutes as needed. Bring to a ball, drizzle dough with a few drops of oil, cover, and pop into warm oven for about 1.25 to 1.5 hours.
6) After dough as doubled in size, increase oven to 550F and move oven rack to the highest level. Place a baking sheet (or baking stone if you have one)
7) Knead soft dough again and form 5-6 balls. Flour surface and rolling pin. Roll dough into an oval shape until it's approx. 1/4 inch thick. Make sure the dough is evenly rolled. Top with finely minced garlic and roll it into the dough.
8) Lightly toss dough from hand-to-hand, then place dough in oven for about 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with butter if you must. Serve it hot!
* I also tried popping it in my little mini oven broiler to brown it for the last minute or so. Try both methods out!


---------------------------------------------------
Nutrition Facts: Garlic Naan


         Not important!...=)

----------------------------------------------------