Saturday, February 26, 2011

Spicy Tuna Tartare with Avocado

Now that I have some time to relax, I wanted to treat myself with a nice piece of sushi grade tuna steak.  I finally dragged myself to H-Mart, and purchased a 6 oz. tuna steak for about $6. Tuna...absolutely beautiful.


Spicy Tuna Tartare with Avocado topped with Masago

Tuna and avocado. I don't know what it is, but for some reason they just taste perfect together, especially in sushi. As I was pondering over different dishes I could make using tuna and avocado (other than sushi or seared tuna steak), I was doing my little at-home workout while watching Barefoot Contessa. Coincidently, she just happened to be making tuna tartare. Perfecttt! That's exactly what I was craving...so here's my take on her recipe because I wanted to cut down the oil and increase the heat. AND of course I need my sriracha and cilantro for extra flavor. They make everything taste better, IMO. =)

FYI, tuna tartare is very easy to assemble and tastes fresh & creamy from the avocado and cilantro. The saltiness from the crunchy masago on top also pairs wonderfully with the tuna. Give it a try! You should definitely try to make your own tuna tartare (or sashimi/sushi) by buying your own sushi grade tuna.  It's so worth it, especially because restaurants charge an arm and a leg for one piece of sashimi...



6 oz. tuna steak from H-Mart ($6)

Tuna, scallions, cilantro, cucumber, and lime zest

Gently mix in 1/2 an avocado, diced
 

Spicy Tuna Tartare:
 Serving Size = Approx. 15-20

Ingredients:
6 oz. sushi grade tuna steak
1 tbs cucumber, finely chopped
1 avocado
1 lime, juice & zest
1 tbs grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp wasabi paste
1 tsp sriracha
2 tbs scallions
1 tbs cilantro
1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
Dash of salt & pepper to taste

Capelin Roe (Masago) for garnish


1) Dice tuna steak into about 1/4 inch cubes and place in medium sized bowl. Toss in finely chopped cucumbers, scallions, cilantro, and lime zest. Mix in wasabi paste and sriracha
2) In a small bowl, mix together oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and lime juice. Pour into tuna and mix
3) Dice avocado into 1/4 inch cubes and gently mix into tuna. Add toasted sesame seeds on top.
4) Serve chilled for tartare to thicken and soak up the dressing (about 1 hour). Serve in cucumber cups, with crackers/bread, or in spoons. Garnish with masago


Served in spoons & shot glasses