Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Whole Wheat Waffles w/ Blueberry Sauce

Pretty nice day to eat on my balcony =)

Since I usually eat savory breakfast/brunch food, I decided to make something more on the sweeter side.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to make pancakes or waffles, but since I found this old and lonely waffle iron sitting in the back of my kitchen cabinet, I went for the waffles.

I made some nutritious WWWs (whole wheat waffles) using WW flour, oatmeal, wheat bran, and unsweetened apple sauce. I sandwiched the waffles with mashed bananas & chopped walnuts in the middle and topped them with some thick blueberry sauce and a dollop of Greek yogurt. I didn't add any sugar to my batter because the sugars from the banana and the blueberries would do the trick.

I actually REALLY enjoyed this brunch because you get a piece of the whole grain waffle, creamy banana with a slight walnut crunch, tangy yogurt, and sweet blueberry sauce all in one bite! Awesomeness! =)



I'm a huge fan of WW flour, but I know some people aren't so fond of it because it is more dense than AP flour and definitely has a distinct taste and texture. If you can't handle WW flour, you could always replace it with AP flour in this recipe...you'll just miss out on the additional nutrition! =(

OK, so let's start with the waffles:


Beat egg whites into soft peaks

Fold in egg whites with a spatula, 1 scoop at a time

Cut in half, spread banana & walnuts, and sandwich with other half

Whole Wheat Waffles:
 Serving Size = Approx. 5

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal, finely ground
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 nutmeg 
1/4 tsp salt
Wet Ingredients:  
2 eggs, separated
1 3/4 cup almond milk 
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla 


1) Plug in waffle iron
2) Mix dry ingredients into a medium bowl
3) Separate room temperature eggs. Set aside eggwhites and beat yolks in medium bowl. Mix in rest of wet ingredients to egg yolks
4) Slowly mix in dry ingredients into wet mixture.  In separate bowl with eggwhites, beat them into small peaks. I usually start at a low mixing speed until it get's a little foamy, and then I slowly increase the speed until soft peaks form
5) With spatula, scoop out eggwhites, 1/3 at a time, and gently fold into batter.
6) Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray if needed, and pour in batter as specified by your specific waffle iron. (My iron used about 1 cup of batter).
7) After done cooking, place on cooling rack and serve
8) Leftovers: Place in air tight container of freezer bag. Stick in toaster before eating!




Frozen blueberries, water, freshly squeezed orange juice


Blueberry Sauce (low-sugar):

Ingredients:
1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
3 tbs water
1/4 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange) 
1 1/2 tsp orange JELLO mix*
1/8 tsp cinnamon 
3 tsp almond milk**
1 tsp orange zest
* Alternative: Cornstarch. Just make sure you mix cornstarch in a little water before stirring it into hot sauce
** Add more mik or water to thin out sauce to your liking


1) Place blueberries, water, and orange juice in pot and bring to boil
2) Reduce to simmer and cook for about 5-7 minutes
3) Add JELLO mix, cinnamon, and milk. Simmer for 1 more minute 
4) Pour into bowl and let cool to allow sauce to thicken up
5) Storage: Store in airtight container and refrigerate. If it becomes too thick, dilute with milk or water, or microwave it for 15-20 seconds
* I didn't realize this until I put it in, but JELLO contains aspartame, which is a sugar alternative to add sweetness. I'm not a huge fan of this sugar replacement method, but I'll be OK! =P



Cut sandwich in half, stack, top with sauce and yogurt, and garnish!
Take a nice big bite!
Yummy mess